Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mason Bee block

It's been raining today, so to make my day worth something  i decided to build an Mason Bee block,I had this piece of  I think "Hinoki" wood for some time and I didn't really know what to do with it beside the having large door stopper.Couple days ago I stumble upon the post  from Ken Elwood , CLJ forum master,  he was offering two blocks for trade, and at the time I didn't have a clue what they are so I follow the provided link on what are mason bees are,It seemed interesting, beneficial and easy enough,so I gave it a try ,after a research on what kind of blocks are available and how to make them finally opting  for the simplest design.I mark a hole every 2 cm length and sideways and then drill them with 8.2 mm drill bit to about  8cm deep.I have some plastic straws that are 8mm in diameter,which should fit nicely and act as a liner so in the autumn bee cocoons could be extracted without damage.Also I'm going to place the block inside the larger wooden box for aesthetic reasons as well for the protection against the rain and wind.I post updates on this sometimes this week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment